GOVT PRIORITISES LOCAL CONTRACTORS IN INFRASTRUCTURE DRIVE

News

By Sifiso Nhlabatsi

MBABANE – Government has reaffirmed its commitment to ensuring that local contractors and built environment professionals take centre stage in the country’s infrastructure development, with the Ministry of Public Works and Transport declaring that the participation of Swati companies in public sector projects remains a key policy priority.

Speaking at the Construction Industry Council (CIC) Stakeholder Forum 2026 held at Happy Valley hotel, Minister Chief Ndlaluhlaza Ndwandwe said the ministry was deliberately promoting the participation of Swati contractors and professionals in government infrastructure projects, while also encouraging the sourcing of local construction materials.

The Construction Industry Council Stakeholder Forum 2026, was held under the theme “Driving Infrastructure Investment for National Development.”

The minister said this policy was already being demonstrated through the increasing involvement of local companies in various infrastructure projects currently under implementation across the country.

Ndwandwe said Government’s infrastructure investment programme, together with private sector investment, continued to stimulate activity in the construction sector through the development of office buildings, industrial and residential facilities, roads, bridges, water reservoirs, agricultural infrastructure and energy projects.

He added that the ministry had also deliberately allocated funding for maintenance works, a move aimed at sustaining activity within the construction industry while strengthening public infrastructure asset management for the benefit of future generations.

He urged stakeholders to move beyond merely identifying challenges and instead commit themselves to implementing practical solutions that would accelerate growth in the construction sector.

Ndwandwe said Government remained committed to working closely with the Construction Industry Council, other government agencies, financiers and strategic partners to find lasting solutions to challenges facing the industry.

The minister said the annual stakeholder forum remained an important platform for industry players to reflect on challenges experienced during the previous year, discuss emerging issues requiring urgent attention and agree on priorities that should guide the sector over the short to medium term.

He welcomed the attendance of Members of Parliament, government officials, industry associations and representatives from South Africa’s construction sector, saying their participation demonstrated a shared commitment towards advancing the construction industry.

He noted that collaboration between Eswatini and South African construction institutions would strengthen regional cooperation and contribute towards the Southern African Development Community’s industrialisation and regional integration objectives.

Ndwandwe also reflected on the achievements of the outgoing CIC Board, whose term ended on Monday after assuming office in 2023.

He said one of the board’s major achievements was the appointment of a substantive chief executive officer, which had brought stability and strategic direction to the organisation.

The minister further commended the board for improving relations between the council and industry stakeholders, saying the construction sector had become more stable and purposeful as a result of continued engagement.

Although the review of the Construction Industry Council Act and its regulations had not yet been completed, Ndwandwe said considerable progress had been made through extensive stakeholder consultations.

He explained that the legislative review had taken longer than anticipated because the council had engaged more stakeholders than originally planned, a process he described as commendable because it would enhance ownership and confidence in the final outcome.

The minister revealed that the revised construction industry policy and regulations were now in draft form and would undergo final stakeholder validation within the next two weeks before being submitted to his office.

He acknowledged that Government had initially expected the policy and legislative reforms to have already been presented to Cabinet and Parliament but expressed satisfaction that the process was nearing completion.

Ndwandwe also praised the council for consistently fulfilling its statutory obligations, including hosting annual stakeholder forums, implementing recommendations adopted during previous meetings and reporting back on progress achieved.

He said governance, transparency and accountability remained the foundation of successful institutions and industries across the world.

The minister further revealed that Government had become increasingly aware of longstanding challenges affecting the construction sector through ongoing engagements between the ministry, the council and industry players.

Among the issues receiving attention, he said, were delayed payments to contractors, the prioritisation of Swati-owned companies in both public and private infrastructure investments, and improvements to construction design and procurement systems.

He said solutions were actively being pursued to address these concerns and improve the operating environment for contractors and construction professionals.

Ndwandwe urged delegates to engage constructively throughout the forum and ensure that discussions translated into concrete commitments capable of driving sustainable growth in Eswatini’s construction industry while contributing to the country’s broader national development agenda.

Meanwhile Construction Industry Council (CIC) Chief Executive Officer Maqhawe Mnisi said the Council has made significant progress in delivering key industry outcomes aimed at strengthening Eswatini’s construction sector.

Mnisi said the Council has advanced efforts to integrate climate considerations into the built environment by working with traditional leaders, local communities and the National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA) to identify and grade-test community-based artisans. He added that the CIC has also collaborated with the Ministry of Public Works and Transport and project teams to assess grade-testing facilities, with further support expected under the National Adaptation Plan.

Mnisi further highlighted progress in enforcing construction standards, saying government procurement should align with quality standards while plans are underway to strengthen pre-verification systems at border posts. He stressed the need for clear material specifications to prevent the use of substandard construction materials, including corrugated iron sheets, as part of efforts to improve the quality, safety and resilience of infrastructure projects across the country.

Board Chairman of the Construction Industry Council (CIC) Sandile Makhubu thanked government for the increased budget allocation for infrastructure development.

Eswatini Contractors Association Secretary General Percy Mazibuko also thanked government’s commitment to prioritise locals in upcoming infrastructure projects. Mazibuko said this commitment was even made by the Prime Minister Russell Mmiso Dlamini last week.

#EswatiniPositiveNews #Eswatini #Construction #Infrastructure #NationalDevelopment #LocalContractors #BuyLocalEswatini #EconomicGrowth #BuiltEnvironment #PublicWorks #InfrastructureInvestment #CIC2026 #ConstructionIndustry #MadeInEswatini #SustainableDevelopment